Saturday, November 14, 2009

Human Trafficking

Citizenship and Immigration Canada* helps victims of trafficking* by securing their immigration status with a special Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)*. A TRP gives legal immigration status in Canada and may be issued for up to 180 days and can be re-issued depending on the person’s situation.

Victims of trafficking who receive a TRP are eligible for healthcare benefits and trauma counseling and may also apply for a work permit. Victims of trafficking are not required to testify against their trafficker to gain temporary or permanent residential status.

There is no fee for the initial TRP or a work permit for victims of trafficking. For more information on Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) or call CIC toll-free at 1-888-242-2100 (only within Canada) to find the closest CIC office.

No comments:

Post a Comment